Monday, July 9, 2007

Anxiety/Uncertainty Management Theory

An example of Anxiety/Uncertainty Management Theory is the first time I met some of my teammates on the KSU football team. The first time I met some of the guys on the team I was extremely anxious and uncertain. Here I was, a white kid from the suburbs and I was going to be playing on a team with guys from the heart of some of the most dangerous cities in the country. The first time I met Coleman, one of our receivers from Atlanta, I was a little nervous because, aside from football we had very little in common. Our first meeting there was little effective communication because even though we both were speaking English it was difficult for me to understand him once in awhile because his dialect was very different from my own. My levels of both anxiety and uncertainty increased because I was meeting someone from a different culture than my own, but I don’t think that they were too high and eventually me and Coleman became friends. At the beginning of our relationship I was consciously incompetent when it came to Coleman; now, almost three years later, I can understand him most of the time.

No comments: